Horizontal Laminar Flow Hoods
These are designed for a variety of industry applications involving low-risk agents, including: sterile product preparation, sterile drug compounding, IV admixture preparation, plant cell culture, media preparation, pharmaceutical procedures, electronic assembly, limited experimental research.
Vertical Laminar Flow Hoods
Ideal for when product protection and some particulate control are required. Unlike a horizontal hood, these models provide controlled airflow in a vertical direction over the entire work surface. These are also designed for the same variety of industry applications as horizontal laminar flow hoods listed above.
Laminar Flow Hood Considerations
Common Laminar Flow Hood Applications
Horizontal and vertical laminar flow clean benches are designed for a variety of industry applications.
- Microscopy Flow Hood: When a microscope is being used in a laminar flow hood, you should consider vibration that might be caused by the motors. Using a vibration pad may help. If not, ask your sales rep if there is an option to isolate the motors. With this option, the motors are not mounted to the frame of the hood.
- PCR Hood: When clean air is needed for PCR experiments, a laminar flow hood is the perfect choice. These hoods are designed to protect equipment and other contents in the work area from particulates. Keep in mind, though, that this should just be used when product protection is required. If you need both product and personnel protection, you need a biological safety cabinet.
- Wet Processing Flow Hood: This is a specialized application that might require sinks and even polypropylene construction instead of metal. This application is something you should discuss with your local sales rep to review all the options.
- Cell Culture and Mycology Flow Hood: Typical cell culture done in a laminar flow hood is work that is not harmful to the lab technician, such as work on plants and fungi. These hoods provide the perfect clean air environment that is required of this type of work.
- Sterile Drug Compounding Cleanroom Hood: Laminar flow hoods have long been the workhorse of a pharmacy. They provide the particulate-free environment that is required. Common options include IV bar, storage bins and cable ports. Talk to your local sales rep to make sure you know about all available options.